Dorchester Conference in Oregon
So this past weekend I traveled to Seaside, Or. for the annual Dorchester conference where Republicans from all around the state of Oregon debate issues and had internal party debates over contesting candidates for governor this upcoming fall. I found myself as usual taking the strong conservative line against other more moderate Republicans from the state.
As one former mayor put it to me, "You college kids are all hyped up, once you get older and mellow our you wont be as conservative." Sorry bud but last time I checked the Republican Party has been strongly conservative since the Reagan administration. I doubt he realizes that the conservative movement is strong and continuing to push forward in this country. Conservatives run the show, not the moderates. Plus there are enough fence sitting "moderates" in this country anyway, what we need are more voters who are willing to take an actual stance and tote the partisan line. Compromising your values might garnish an extra vote or two, but men like Ronald Reagan took a hard line against giving up their beliefs and men like him changed the world.
Interestingly enough Ron Saxton won the straw poll for governor with 162 over Atkinson who had 151. Mannix the 2002 Republican candidate came in last with only 64 votes. Take this for what you will because Dorchester is typcially known as the more liberal/moderate gathering of Republicans around the state. I doubt Mannix is concerned too much with the results and is assured that he will emerge as the parties nominee come May. Saxton just reaks of Portland moderation while Atkinson seems as a viable candidate from the south. The only thing that might hold him back is his youth which at the conference seemed to carry the token College Republican vote.
Come May as long as the Republican Party puts forward the best candidate which represents the conservative base of the party I will be a happy man.
As one former mayor put it to me, "You college kids are all hyped up, once you get older and mellow our you wont be as conservative." Sorry bud but last time I checked the Republican Party has been strongly conservative since the Reagan administration. I doubt he realizes that the conservative movement is strong and continuing to push forward in this country. Conservatives run the show, not the moderates. Plus there are enough fence sitting "moderates" in this country anyway, what we need are more voters who are willing to take an actual stance and tote the partisan line. Compromising your values might garnish an extra vote or two, but men like Ronald Reagan took a hard line against giving up their beliefs and men like him changed the world.
Interestingly enough Ron Saxton won the straw poll for governor with 162 over Atkinson who had 151. Mannix the 2002 Republican candidate came in last with only 64 votes. Take this for what you will because Dorchester is typcially known as the more liberal/moderate gathering of Republicans around the state. I doubt Mannix is concerned too much with the results and is assured that he will emerge as the parties nominee come May. Saxton just reaks of Portland moderation while Atkinson seems as a viable candidate from the south. The only thing that might hold him back is his youth which at the conference seemed to carry the token College Republican vote.
Come May as long as the Republican Party puts forward the best candidate which represents the conservative base of the party I will be a happy man.

1 Comments:
my friend called it "Dorkchester" when i told her i was leaving for the weekend. haha.
Post a Comment
<< Home